I have an Inspiron 3000 and a 7000, both running NT 4.0. The 3000 runs
NT Workstation right now, but spent most of last year running Server. I
use a secondary hard drive on that one to play with learning Red Hat
5.1.

Other than getting the (Latitude) video and sound drivers from Dell for
the i3000, running NT has never been a problem. The parallel port floppy
connector worked just fine for installing (and reinstalling, and
reinstalling) NT. It detected and used my PCMCIA cards (network/modem,
SCSI, flash RAM, WebCam, etc) just fine without 3rd party drivers. True,
I wish NT4 supported power management, but even with SoftEx drivers, my
PCMCIA network card didn't support suspend, so I got used to shutting
down before I got on the train and restarting at home.

The i7000 dual-boots between Win98 (for DVD and games, mostly) and NT
Server (for work). I did need to use SoftEx PCMCIA drivers for this
machine, as it couldn't detect the cards otherwise. SP4 has been just
fine on this. The only noticeable weirdness has to do with dual-booting.
I can't restart from Win98 into WinNT without fully shutting down, or NT
will blue-screen on startup. If I cold boot into NT it's fine. A warm
boot from NT to 98 is OK though.

Anyone who wants help on putting NT onto one of these is welcome to
email me.

Chris Randall, MCT MCSD MCSE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]