Hi Linda,
(also noting some overlap with Julien's response)

The MLDv1 (RFC2710) or v2 (RFC3810) Querier sends out a general query R times
(where R is the reliability factor for the link), which requests that all
devices respond.  This goes to all-nodes multicast ff02::1, and the desitnation
of the query doesn't have to match recipients (all of which listen to that
multicast group).

This scales with responses on order N x R where N is the number of nodes.

If a router needs to manage a particular stream, it can send a specific query
to one of the multicast addresses, particularly to verify that participants.

The router doesn't actually need to track the solicited nodes multicast
addresses, as these are link-local scoped and not multicast routed off-link.

Actually in conformance with RFC 6398/BCP 168 (IP Router Alert Considerations
and Usage)/RFC 6192 (Protecting the Router Control Plane) it is feasible to
construct filters which ignore MLD report messages which only contain
Link-local scoped multicast groups on the router.  With the correct hardware
support, this can be done at the line interface, without CPU processing.  The
default is to pass all MLD reports up to the Router though.

Arguably, the only reason to send MLD Join messages for Solicited Nodes'
multicast addresses _is_ to support MLD snooping switches.

Please note that MLD snooping is an LRU caching scheme, where the cache is
refreshed for all active users through the background polling of the MLD
querier.   The switches do not need to know anything ahead of time.   Devices
which do not respond to the query will be dropped from the cache, and only the
number of active hosts will be retained.

If you changed the IP addresses of every host on the link within a single query
interval, the maximum number of Solicited nodes addresses cached by an MLD
snooping network would be:

^A x N x 2

Where:

The original  the number of addresses is ^A x N
and ^A is the mean number of addresses per host, and N is the number of hosts
on the link.

Sincerely

Greg Daley