FWIW I think both Brian and Stephen have raised good points here.   I don't
mean to say that there isn't a problem here, but I don't think it's really the
right match for the IETF in general or for IntArea in particular to be
publishing a document on how to facilitate monitoring on legacy networks.

I'm not personally in favor of the working group adopting this particular
proposal as it's currently being presented.   I think that if Stephen's
proposal were to be taken seriously, the right next step would be to try to
come up with a document that could then be presented for a new call for
adoption.

To me what "the working group adopted this" means is that we agree on a
problem, we think we need to work on the problem, and when we succeed in
documenting a solution to that problem for which there are no unaddressed
technical objections, it is presumed that we will publish it.

I don't think we agree on the problem yet, so if we were to adopt this document
as it stands, there's a significant risk that the changes Stephen's suggested,
with which I agree, would not actually be made, and when the last call on the
document happened, we'd be told that since we adopted the document and it does
basically what it said it was going to do when we adopted, it's too late to
object.   Let's make sure we're all on the same page so that we aren't taking
that risk.