I think Brian has made a great point below. I’d like to provide a few more
examples (all real) of scenarios where criminal investigations can rely heavily
on the logs retained by the victim or the platform.

1. A person running a content business (e.g. blog) and their platform is
compromised and defaced.
2. An organisation’s corporate website is compromised and used to host child
porn (at a hidden URL).
3. Links that serve malware posted in comments of blogs, with malware hosted on
separate (compromised) sites.
4. Email credentials of an employee in an organisation compromised, log in to
employee’s webmail and send fake invoices to trick company to transfer money
into wrong account (BEC fraud).
5. Compromise of email account and used to send fake invoices (same as above,
but SMTP/POP rather than HTTP)
6. Banking credentials of customers are compromised, fraudster logs in and
transfers funds out of customer account.
7. Purchase and sale of drugs, guns, etc. on dark web (although this is a whole
other can of worms, Tor etc…).
8. Posting of “revenge porn” pictures.

Before the group launches into a debate about the pros and cons of the examples
that I provided above, I wanted to say that the only point I’m making is that
there are at least some reasons why routine source port logging would be
advantageous in cases where CGN (or other large-scale address sharing
technologies) are involved.

The question of how long these logs are retained for is, as Brian also probably
rightly points out, not likely to be something that the IETF can meaningfully
adopt a position on.

daveor