On 2018-04-25 13:27, mohamed.boucad...@orange.com wrote:
>         SHOULD NOT store logs of incoming IP addresses from inbound
>
>       traffic for longer than three days.
>

> The above proposed text does not make sense to me. The IETF does not
> have to make a call on such matters.

You could have two different objections to the draft:

1. The IETF does not, in general, recommend grace periods or time
periods for logging, caching, etc. That's just wrong - I find loads of
examples in old and new RFCs of recommended time-periods for data
storage by googling.

2. The time-period as suggested is wrong. For instance, as Povl
proposed, 3 days is reasonable if it's just about shifting the log from
the internet-facing server as such to somewhere else, and for storing
logs at end-destination a longer period of time is necessary.

I think you're aiming for objection 1). I don't see the historical
precedent for this assertion, and it seems to be rather about what the
IETF would feel like. I'm open for discussion on objection 2).

best,

--
Amelia Andersdotter
Technical Consultant, Digital Programme

ARTICLE19
www.article19.org

PGP: 3D5D B6CA B852 B988 055A 6A6F FEF1 C294 B4E8 0B55