On Mon, Oct 15, 2018, 3:11 PM Fred Baker <fredbaker.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 15, 2018, at 1:50 PM, Ron Bonica <rbon...@juniper.net> wrote:
> >
> > Exactly, but I didn't want to introduce and define the term "Virtual
> Fragment Reassembly". So, I just described the output. The middle box:
> >
> > - makes a decision on that first fragment
>
> The one at offset 0 (and therefore containing the transport header), or
> the first one it receives (which might be at the final offset or any
> other)? What if they're not the same?

For instance, a while back Linux always sent the first fragment last when
fragmenting. This wreaked havoc on middle boxes trying to reassemble. That
was changed to send first fragment first. But even so, I think there might
be some ECMP implementations that could route first fragment (off=0)
differently to create ooo packets relative to fragment train.

Tom