> On Oct 31, 2019, at 5:07 PM, Erik Kline <ek.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It may be folly to try to modify IPv4 implementations at this point.   I have
> no objections if you wish to try pushing this big rock up hill, but I doubt
> you will be successful.
>
> BTW, what *actually* prevents a middlebox from doing IPv6 fragmentation?

Expecting it to work. That middlebox has no idea what packets are going through
other middleboxes from the same endpoint. There’s no way it can pick IDs to
avoid collision, the way the origin can. That’s why both IPv4 and IPv6 rely on
the origin creating those IDs.

The result would either be significantly increased reassembly errors, sort of
like accidental poisoning of the receiver’s cache, or potentially resulting in
incorrect packets (the latter could be more likely in some cases, e.g., when
the fragment happens to have a zero IP checksum).

Joe