On 27/2/20 19:43, Bernard Aboba wrote:
Fernando --

"the proponents have argued that "we have implemented it,
and the industry wants it" -- as if we just have to rubberstamp what
they have done."

[BA] The IETF has no enforcement authority, so that vendors have the ability to ship products implementing IETF standards in whole or in part - or not at all.

Agreed. The problem here is that it's an *IETF* working group rubber-stamping what a vendor did. *That* is the problem.

May I ask what is the point of bothering publishing specs if they are going to be violated at will *within the same organization that published the specs*.

As noted by Jinmei here <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/spring/XZ_D_cfPNNzXpi4_ZbuTidMTo4k/> , I believe not only are we just rubber-stamping stuff, but also I believe that our processes are being circumvented.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks