Guntur,

I have to say – I sat and thought about what you wrote here – and there was one
line tha really struck in in the context of this whole debate

<snip>
> Any change requires a reason to overcome the associated hurdle. Consequently,
> I have found it very instructive to try to think about the network and
> protocols in terms of assets, incentives, costs, and benefits".

On this – we are in total agreement – which is why when I look at what has
occurred in SPRING – I find myself getting very depressed.

In order to consider protocols and change in the context of the four criteria
you listed – we would need certain information –

  1.  Why do the authors of the disputed draft insist on holding with PSP –
what is the substantive use case – I for one – do not believe this has been
close to addressed in light of the fact that there were no less than 4 ways to
progress the contentious draft (compromises were offered, everything from,
progress the draft with this moved to another document that could be debated,
to update the rfc8200) – in every case – the authors refused to budge
  2.  In order to evaluate benefit you need people who are prepared to state
the benefit they see in something – instead we have a document advancing based
not on consensus but on (and I quote) “We had to move this forward” and citing
a bunch of people who +1’ed a list in what was in my view a clearly
orchestrated +1 campaign as justification for support.  I’ll be releasing a
rather interesting summary from the lists showing just how many times the
majority of those people have *ever* posted to the lists before – it makes for
an interesting read.
  3.  With regards to the costs – without knowing what the real reason for
insisting on holding to this – and there must be done considering the dogged
way the authors and the vendor behind this document have insisted on it –
without giving proper reasons – this cannot be evaluated.

So – on the basis of the criteria you listed alone – the fact that we are
seeing something being railed through a working group – despite substantive –
numerous – and unaddressed objections in total violation of the very concept of
consensus – disturbs me greatly.  I have always believed that if things like
appeals can be avoided – that is always first prize – sadly in this case – we
are now forced into an appeal process and we will see how it plays out – but –
in light of all this – I can understand why people on so many lists are
questioning what is going on.

Thanks

Andrew