On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:38 AM Templin (US), Fred L
<fred.l.temp...@boeing.com> wrote:

> Tom, see below:

Fred,

You seem to be only looking at the problem from a per packet cost
point of view. There is also per byte cost, particularly in the
computation of the TCP/UDP checksum. The cost is hidden in modern
implementations by checksum offload, and for segmentation offload we
have methods to preserve the utility of checksum offload. IP parcels
will have to also leverage checksum offload, because if the checksum
is not offloaded then the cost of computing the payload checksum in
CPU would dwarf any benefits we'd get by using segments larger than
64K.

Tom