As per discussion with Chris, on IRC following were the suggestions :

- Chris has suggested an event based approach to avoid using pthreads.

- Avoid using kernel-specific info like transitional delays and instead use either polling or wait-for-event approach. Need to focus on user-observable behavior rather than the kernel standpoint.

- Check for transition latency is unnecessary in this test, as this is more of a performance/power benchmark.

I will try the event based mechanism to do away with pthreads, and incorporate these suggestions in the next patch-set.

-Ankit