On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 03:35:30PM +0530, Sharma, Shashank wrote:
> Regards
>
> Shashank
>

> On 6/23/2017 2:50 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> > > This property is targeted at DRM layer, so naturally its for all the HWs
> > > along with Intel HW, so it serves a big range.
> > > All our HDMI 1.4 sources support RGB444, and after this series, can
> > > support
> > > YCBCR444.
> > > All HDMI 2.0 sources should support YCBCR420, but they can declare this
> > > using a bool variable which I added in patch 3 (ycbcr420_allowed)
> > > As we are targeting both HDMI 1.4 as well as HDMI 2.0 (Src and Sink), as a
> > > whole we are covering all options.
> > Yes, we need to define values for everything, since it's a generic
> > property. But for a given driver imo we should only allow the values
> > that are actually supported. An example would be the rotation
> > property, which supporsts X/Y-mirror and rotation by 90° steps. But on
> > a given i915 platform we only register support for the stuff the
> > driver/hw can do, e.g. pre-gen9 do not register 90/270° rotation. I
> > think we should do the same here. See
> > drm_plane_create_rotation_property(), specifically the
> > supported_rotations parameter.
> Ah, I got your point now, and its valid.
> If you see the I915 level handlers of YCBCR functions (added in patch 10)
> they are taking care of blocking
> anything which is not supported by driver for this platform, based on:
> - The source capability
> - The sink capability
> - User preference of the property.

Yeah, runtime checks are needed on top (sometimes at least). But if we
can't support a given mode for a given sink then we should take that into
account when registering the property. Otherwise userspace tries stuff
that can never succeed, which isn't a big problem with the TEST_ONLY
atomic mode, just a bit silly.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter