On Fri, 08 Sep 2017, Daniel Vetter <dan...@ffwll.ch> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 05:01:42PM +0300, Jani Nikula wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Sep 2017, Daniel Vetter <daniel.vet...@ffwll.ch> wrote:
>> > +configure_file(output: 'config.h', install: false, configuration:
>> > config_h)
>>
>> This makes me think config_h is a misnomer for the configuration data
>> object. I'd probably use plain "config" instead.
>>
>> I think we'll end up wanting to use the configuration data for the test
>> runner shell scripts too, and generate a sh.config from the same
>> config. We can source the sh.config from e.g. run-tests.sh, to figure
>> out the source and build directories. We can use find_program() to find
>> piglit, for example, and shove that into sh.config.
>>
>> Look at the beginning of run-tests.sh and see how much better it could
>> be with a sh.config.
>>
>> Of course, the alternative is to use a separate configuration data
>> object for sh.config, but I think it's clearer to use one, and use .in
>> files to decide what goes in them.
>
> configuration_data() seems to just be a special-purpose
> wrangler/generator. I use it also for mangling manpages later on iirc.

We had a misunderstanding here, clarified on IRC.

I meant, do use configuration data, but only use one configuration data
object, and generate several outputs from one object. I think we'll
benefit from being able to pull in some config data to a sh.config later
on, and using that in run-tests.sh and elsewhere. Which means "config_h"
will be a slightly misleading name, just call it "config".

BR,
Jani.