Hi,

I understand there there's concerns about the content protection
stuff, but please note:

- The patches under discussion enforce nothing, they only allow you to
enable HDCP if you chose to do so. For real content protection you
need a complete system, locked down with secure boot or similar. I
think any user concerned about their software freedoms knows to avoid
such systems like the plague.

- Second, the code doesn't run by default at all. You can try to
enable HDCP only by explicitly requesting content protection through a
drm property (which I think should be exposed to xrandr by default at
least for the modesetting driver). Enterprising users can try out what
happens if they want to, but by default nothing at all happens. So no
risk of random breakage due to this.

Given those two reasons I don't think we need a Kconfig option to
disable the code even harder. I hope that explains the situation, and
why the patches don't have a Kconfig option from the start.

Also thanks very much for reaching out to developers instead of
everyone else who just panics on forums and passes around silly
conspiracy theories. We definitely don't want to merge code which
would hurt our users, that would kinda defeat the point of doing an
open source driver. I don't think this is the case here.

Cheers, Daniel

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:20 AM, A. Wilcox <awil...@adelielinux.org> wrote:

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation