On 28/02/2018 12:27, Chris Wilson wrote:
Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2018-02-28 11:38:01)

On 28/02/2018 11:12, Chris Wilson wrote:
Quoting Tvrtko Ursulin (2018-02-28 11:08:29)
From: Tvrtko Ursulin <tvrtko.ursu...@intel.com>

Some tests (the ones which call igt_setup_runtime_pm and
igt_pm_enable_audio_runtime_pm) change default system configuration and
never restore it.

The configured runtime suspend is aggressive and may influence behaviour
of subsequent tests, so it is better to restore to previous values on test
exit.

This way system behaviour, with regards to a random sequence of executed
tests, will be more consistent from one run to another.

Otoh, if behaviour changes in subsequent tests, we likely have a lack of
testing :(

Yeah, and I am not saying it does - haven't spotted anything like that,
just that it leaves the auto-suspend with zero delay afterwards,
compared to otherwise default 10s.

Maybe it is good for coverage, even with the downside of randomness
considering shard runs, or maybe it needs to be more explicit.

I actually thought (or at least picked up the idea) we enabled 0
autosuspend delay throughout igt. And that it's only because most of time
we have a display connected that prevents rpm madness.

Yes fair point, the effect of this patch is only visible on esoteric headless setups like mine. :)

Anyway, unless I am missing something, I think it is conceptually correct to restore, as long as the zero autosuspend delay is not a global IGT setup but a helper called by a few tests.

Regards,

Tvrtko