On 17/10/2019 13:52, Animesh Manna wrote:
On 10/17/2019 2:05 PM, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:
On 22/08/2019 13:09, Chris Wilson wrote:
Quoting Animesh Manna (2019-08-22 13:05:06)
Hi,

On 8/21/2019 11:41 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:
Quoting Animesh Manna (2019-08-21 07:32:22)
+       vma = i915_gem_object_ggtt_pin(obj, NULL, 0, 0, PIN_MAPPABLE);
Only this (currently) still requires struct_mutex

Sure will add.

Does it have to mappable? Is that the HW constraint?

Yes, as per HW design need a cpu mapped buffer to write opcode+data from
driver.

PIN_MAPPABLE refers to the iomem aperture portion of the Global GTT (i.e. the low 64-512MiB). You never use a GGTT mmap for your CPU access, so the
placement should be entirely dictated by the DSB requirements. If you
don't need to be in the low region, don't force it to be, so we have
less congestion for the objects that have to be placed in that region.

I was doing a mini audit of what uses the aperture these days and noticed this code has been merged in the meantime, but AFAICS this question from Chris hasn't been answered? At least not on the mailing list. So does it need to be in the aperture region or not?

Hi,

Based on recommendation from H/w team used PIN_MAPPABLE, not very sure about internal details.

What did the recommendation exactly say? That it has to be in GGTT or aperture?

Regards,

Tvrtko