On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 18:47, Thomas Hellström (Intel)
<thomas...@shipmail.org> wrote:

> On 7/21/20 9:45 AM, Christian König wrote:
> > Am 21.07.20 um 09:41 schrieb Daniel Vetter:

> >> Yeah I think a future patch needs to type up how we want to make that
> >> happen (for some cross driver consistency) and what needs to be
> >> considered. Some of the necessary parts are already there (with like the
> >> preemption fences amdkfd has as an example), but I think some clear docs
> >> on what's required from both hw, drivers and userspace would be really
> >> good.
> >
> > I'm currently writing that up, but probably still need a few days for
> > this.
>
> Great! I put down some (very) initial thoughts a couple of weeks ago
> building on eviction fences for various hardware complexity levels here:
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/thomash/docs/-/blob/master/Untangling%20dma-fence%20and%20memory%20allocation.odt

We are seeing HW that has recoverable GPU page faults but only for
compute tasks, and scheduler without semaphores hw for graphics.

So a single driver may have to expose both models to userspace and
also introduces the problem of how to interoperate between the two
models on one card.

Dave.