On Fri, 14 Apr 2023 09:11:30 +0000
"Tian, Kevin" <kevin.t...@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

With no-iommu and VFIO_GROUP on, each no-iommu device gets it's own
group and the user must have ownership of each affected group, so
there's really no difference here.  Every affected no-iommu device must
be owned in either case.

> The only corner case with this option is when a user mixes group
> and cdev usages. iirc you mentioned it's a valid usage to be supported.
> In that case the kernel doesn't have sufficient knowledge to judge
> 'resettable' as it doesn't know which groups are opened by this user.

So for example we might have a 2-function device, fn0 is opened via
cdev and part of an iommufd ctx and fn1 is opened via the group
interface and potentially bound to a type1 container context.

In the INFO/INFO2 proposal, the INFO ioctl would return an array
reporting the group and BDF for each function.  The INFO ioctl is
callable from either device (aiui).  The INFO2 ioctl would fail on the
group opened device because it doesn't have an iommufd_ctx.  When
called on the cdev opened device, INFO2 would fail because the dev-set
is not represented within the iommufd_ctx.  Is this right?

In my proposal, the INFO ioctl can also be called on either device.
When called on the cdev opened device, the return structure provides
dev-ids with a flag indicating such in the return structure.  The cdev
device has a valid dev-id, the group device invalid.  The
reset-available flag is clear because the kernel cannot infer ownership
of the group opened device.  When called on the group opened device, the
IOMMU group and BDF are returned for each device.

So both approaches have similar issues here, but I think there's an
advantage to the approach of extending INFO.  In that case, the user
still gets the dev-id of the affected cdev device and therefore could
build a hot-reset ioctl call using a combination of groupfds and
devicefds, even if the cdev opened device are passed by fd.  Perhaps
it's obvious that the hot-reset device is itself affected by the reset,
but I think the example scenario could be extended to one where there
are multiple cdev opened devices and one or more group opened devices.
AIUI, the INFO2 proposal essentially only returns success if the
null-array approach is supported, ie. the kernel can infer the full
ownership of the dev-set.  However, I think we could still support a
proof-of-ownership based hot-reset with devicefds and groupfds provide
by the user.

I think what this means is that the flag we're exposing is not
"hot-reset available", but really whether the kernel can infer
ownership and the ownership conditions are satisfied.  Therefore it
essentially only flags the availability of the null-array interface
while the proof-of-ownership approach is always available.

> Not sure whether we can leave it in a ugly way so INFO may not tell
> 'resettable' accurately in that weird scenario.

Is it still ugly with the above design?  Thanks,

Alex