On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Chris Wilson <ch...@chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
>> Yeah I've seen the other patches. I think we should try to keep all the
>> ring structures around even when the hw init failed. I've made some feeble
>> attempts a while ago to split the structure init from the hw init stuff,
>> but kinda never fully materialized ...
>>
>> Imo if our set of valid rings semi-randomly changes at runtime even,
>> that's not good.
>
> Agreed, but sadly we can't trust hardware to always work, and we need
> something to prevent explosions. I quite like the idea of marking the
> GPU wedged if hw init fails so that we lose acceleration but keep
> modesetting around.

Yeah, I agree that the  other two patches are neat indeed, it's this
one here where the shiny starts to come off a bit ;-) tbh I'd prefer a
simply if (terminally_wedged) return -EIO; here before the ring
checks, maybe with a comment stating why we need to have this order.

That, or fix the mess called ring init code ...
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation