On Thursday November 13 2014 18:52:45 Stanislav Baiduzhyi wrote:

> > Qt is not a desktop. I don't like the idea of qtconfig because it's not Qt's
> > purpose to do that. It's the desktop's.

That's fine on an OS that gives a choice of desktops, but much less so on a
system that doesn't. Especially not if that leaves users on those systems with
defaults choices that were made by developers who's experience with those
systems is more or less limited to the time they spend writing and testing the
platform-specific code, before going back to "Mother Linux".

In fact, I wonder how much of this debate boils down to developers actually
using the software they write and not just under Linux ...

> empty home folder? Which effectively means that target audience of Qt5 is
> much
> smaller than target audience of Qt4?

You know, Qt4 works perfectly fine for me, except for a few naggles that are
clearly present in Qt5 too ... O:-)
The little I've seen of KF5 and Qt5 on my Linux rig really leaves me in no
hurry at all to "upgrade"

> If there is no qtconfig and configuration files hierarchy, there should be
> another way of doing the same things. In my opinion, following list would
> solve the majority of issues:
... fontconfig ... XDG
> That's all that needed to make Qt5 look bearable on unconfigured/unsupported
> desktop.

There you go ... Linux is the new MS Windows? :)
Fontconfig is present on OS X but I highly doubt it is used by Qt (if it's like
freetype, it's linked in, for unclear reasons). XDG does not exist on OS X. I'd
guess that neither are present on a typical MS Windows set-up.

R.