> On Jan 20, 2016, at 8:46 AM, william.croc...@analog.com wrote:
>

>>> I do not remember why I added a styleSheet. Perhaps to make it more
>>> fat-finger
>>> touch-friendly for Android or iOS. Anyway, I must re-think and re-test.
>>
>> I always tell my customers to stay away from style sheets. They are way more
>> trouble than what they are worth.
>>

> My complaint:
>
> Some things can be done both with a function call on a widget or
> by applying a style sheet. This is good.
>
> Other things can only be done using a style sheet.
> This is bad because it forces the use a style sheet
> and the application of a style sheet will fail quietly
> if you make a syntax error. Even if your theory is right on.

Style sheets and widgets seem to be trial-and-error.

This is one of the issues that keep me from using QML.  Similar to using style
sheets used with QWidgets, QML development seems to be trial-and-error.

With QML development I spend much time searching for magical QML source code
examples to cut & copy some source snippets.  I finally get it to look nice on
OS X, then I run on iOS and maybe it looks nice or maybe it does not.  Then I
move on to testing on Android and some missing dependency prevents it from even
executing.  I am not saying QWidgets looks better on mobile devices than QML
but perhaps they are more predictable.

> I use C++ because I want a strongly typed language which complains during
> compilation over a large class of mistakes. The style sheet processor never
> says a dam thing no matter how much garbage I give it.

While I appreciate the more-native look of QML, it seems that each time I
attempt to start using it I get a bit closer to adopting it, however, I always
end up reverting back to to my old-school QWidgets.  I need to take a a day or
two of QML training.

I appreciate my compiler complaints.  Full-blown -Wall, turn on every-added
warning I can find, always enable -Werror so I do not get lazy and start
ignoring the noise.

-Ed