René J.V. Bertin wrote:

Hello,

I've realised that the symptom described below is in fact a new face of the 5.4
and 5.5 Mac issue where adding QMenus, QActions and/or QActionWidgets to more
than only a native QMenuBar menu would lead to continuous error messages.

In short, it's caused by the fact that you cannot reuse a QMenu, QAction or
QActionWidget in multiple menus if one of those menus belongs to the Mac
toplevel QMenuBar. Reusing in multiple popup/context menus (right-click, under
button, etc) or even with a non-native in-window QMenuBar seems to be perfectly
possible. For now ...

The annoying aspects of this platform limitation:
- there's (probably lots of) code "out there" which is designed to reuse menus
or simply menu items (any code based on KXMLGui::KActionCollection for instance)
- as far as I can tell it didn't exist in Qt 4.8 or Qt versions prior to 5.4

The 2nd observation leads me to believe that this is in fact an internal Qt
limitation which *could* be done away with. Are there any plans to fix this
regression?

I know this is more of a development question; I'm raising it here to see if
others have run into this limitation already. Is there already a wishlist
ticket
on the bug tracker, for instance?

Thanks,
René