> What about writing a “virtual serial port” ?
>
> QSerialPort is a QIODevice, so one thing you can do is to replace it with a
> custom QIODevice where you can write what you from e.g. a “console
> widget” to evaluate what you want from your application.

So you're suggesting when I want to debug my class I change this:
  class mySerialPort : public QSerialPort {};
  class mySerialPort : public virtualSerialPort {};
and recompile (where virtualSerialPort inherits from a QIODevice that I
customize to do what I need to do)?

Basically the features I need are:
1. I need to be able to inject a QByteArray into the class and have that emit
the readyRead() signal
2. The readyRead() signal is connected to my parse() slot
3. in parse(), I need myClass::readAll() to come back with that same QByteArray
that I injected in step #1

It looks like maybe QBuffer (which I didn’t know existed) might be close to
what I need... Ideally I was hoping to do it in a way that I didn't have to
change any of the code of my serial port class, just to make sure I'm not
introducing an error during this process...

Sean