On 07/05/2019 16:11, Bernhard Lindner wrote:
1) the the change to qsizetype as an index type has not
happened yet, anyhow. It's still a huge question if it's doable in the
first place.
It is still discussed? I thought it is pretty high at the priority list anyway.

No such patch has landed, and the discussion on the mailing list stopped. I'm just guessing it's going to be one of the major points of debate during the container changes expected for Qt 6. It needs some serious experiment on some big code base.

Disclaimer: I'm against this change, presented like that, on source compatibility reasons. If we can somehow get 100% SC, then I am totally in favour of it.

I mean, if you don't do that in 2020 (Qt6), when will you do it? You can't do
it in a
minor release, can you?

x64 is standard in many applications and memory sizes are growing. I have seen
to many
platforms/frameworks die an early death because developers where afraid to
enforce
fundamental architectural fixes/improvements (including evolving language)...
until it was
too late.

The hard answer would be: never.

If you need a 64-bit ready byte array/vector/map/hash/list/deque/stack/..., the Standard Library has been providing them for a very long time now. Qt should make the transition towards them easier. The reason why I'm still in favour of the change above is getting a 64-bit QString, whose equivalent simply does not exist in the Standard Library yet.

(Honorable mention: QStringView is 64-bit ready.)

My 2 c,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts