Il 04/10/19 16:51, René J.V. Bertin ha scritto:
I've isolated the class and its demonstrator, and added a few switches to assess performance
(in terms of user experience and CPU load). The only way I found to limit the CPU load is by
adding a delay after each frame render. 75ms of "thread sleep" already causes an
almost 4x reduction in CPU load with a barely visible effect; with 250ms the animation is
choppyish but still perfectly acceptable IMHO - and CPU load < 1%.

github.com/RJVB/kbusygadget

Am I being principled here or are there indeed cheaper ways to obtain a
comparable UI effect?

By default non-QQ2 related animations run every 16ms. Do you have a minimal testcase showcasing a suspicious activity of an animation?

Cheers,
--
Giuseppe D'Angelo | giuseppe.dang...@kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts