dschnur wrote:

> Cheeze wrote:
> > If there's anything I personally would add to Intermapper, that would be to
> > emulate one function of Cacti/MRTG. That being, to do a historical and a
> > count.
>

> That's something that we'd like to do in Reports, in a broader sense even.
> Besides what you described, we've had several requests for 'sum' across
> devices, i.e. the total tx/rx across a set of interfaces on a switch.
>
> The main difficulty, taking your example, is that it's not completely
> straightforward to get total bytes sent from bytes/second; at the least you
> have to multiply by the poll interval, which can change!  Then with different
> datasets having different summation rules, the next problem is coming up with
> a reliable way to determine when to apply them.  There are a few other issues
> as well.
>
> So as you can see it's a bit more involved than it appears, but we do know
> that it's something we need to support.
>
> -----------
> David Schnur
> Development Lead
> http://intermapper.com

Completely understood :)

I'm not really a programmer and I don't really know how much WOULD be involved
in making something like this work. That's why I am not 100% sure how it would
be done. I have ideas in my head on how it could be done but, well, I don't
know Intermapper underneath the GUI, and therefore I don't think it would be
appropriate for me to even speculate on how it could be coded.

I do however have faith that yalls are coding machines over there and that
yalls will be able to get it working. I agree with you when you say that
there's different ways to display the data. That's why this is something that I
think will have to be designed/thought out in probably a more communal way
(with the customers) to where both sides can so to speak "win". I don't think
it's as straightforward as a, "Here, deal with it".

Thank you for looking into it and responding. Intermapper rocks :)

Read this topic online here:
http://forums.intermapper.com/viewtopic.php?p=4228#4228