Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Shane Caraveo wrote:

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

Couldn't you make the same argument for:

 function A() {
   function B() {
   }
 }

I would :)

The syntax is meaningless and confusing if the program does not operate the way it is written. By all sensible considerations, B should be local to A. Since it is not, the syntax should cause a parser error, and the same with namespaces. And then what happens with that stuff when, at some point in the future, proper scoping is implemented?

I'm not arguing that it is correct, I am simply saying that it is exactly the same issue and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to disallow it for namespaces, but allow it for functions.

Didn't figure you were, I'm simply arguing that it shouldn't be allowed for either. It doesn't serve any usefull purpose and has negative impact, and since this is a major version change, so we should feel free to break a bit of BC in places like this.

Shane