On November 5, 2003 11:21 am, you wrote:
> Well, like I said before, I am not sure this is a clear case of that.  I'm
> probably the biggest defender around of the no-magic rule, but [] does
> imply something array-related to most people, so I think the magic part is
> much smaller than in other proposals we have seen.

Right now [] could either be an array element or an offset. Now it can either
be an array element or a string offset or an attempt to create a new array.
Individually it may be fine, but I am certain we'll end up with bug reports
of people trying to do $a = $b[1,2,3]; (copied from your resonse ;) ) and
similar. Of course someone would then want to do $a[1,2,3] = [3,4,5]; and
we're happily on our road to obfuscation.

I mean c'mon, is 5 characters that much of a problem and is absolute code
clarity not worth those 5 characters? Character efficiency is done in Perl,
where you can do things like ~= and @_, but that makes Perl code naturally
obfuscated and I do not think that's a good way to go.

Ilia