On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 20:35, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> At 07:20 PM 12/18/2003 +0100, Christian Schneider wrote:
> >Derick Rethans wrote:
> >>It won't bork all scripts with a custom errorhandler if their default
> >>action is to ignore core and other errors but only handle the ones they
> >>should handle. I do agree that it should be mentioned in the changes
> >>file though.
> >
> >On the other hand you have to be very careful (another way of saying
> >'avoid') using custom error_handlers anyway because
> >
> >http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25547
> >
> >will break your application. Still there in PHP 5.0.0b3RC1
>
> Yeah this is a known bug and will have to be fixed in RC1. It's not a
> showstopper for B3.
> In any case, I do think that the custom error handler being called for any
> error is bogus. Why should E_STRICT or E_NOTICES be sent to the handler if
> they are off?

Good question.  Having an error handling function becomes really
expensive if your code is not E_ALL-clean in a loop or something.  IMHO
the error_reporting mask should be applied before a user error handler
is called.  That's the solution with greatest flexibility.  You can
configure PHP to send all errors to the error handler if it's changed,
but today it's impossible to prevent your handler from getting notices.

I'm +1 on changing this.

> Anyway, I'm holding off with Beta 3 until we fix the
> --install-pear-packages problem. I'd call that a showstopper because it's
> something pretty basic.
> Has anyone managed to create a reproducing script or backtrace?

It doesn't crash on my box :(

Could someone with a crashing "make install-pear-packages" post the
contents of their config.nice file and OS signature as well as
gcc/libtool/autoconf versions?

 - Stig