At 12:42 PM 1/21/2004 +0100, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
I don't know if we should get into this. Do we *really* care if we crash on exit?

Are you serious ?? Of course we care about segfaults, don't we, even if it's 'only' on exit ??

What I'm saying is that if it were to require some ugly hacks in PHP to get around this problem, which besides crashing on apachectl stop and having a line in your error_log it might not be the best idea to fix it.

We are talking about MSHUTDOWN not RSHUTDOWN here. It's not an

Depends if you use dl() or load from php.ini. If loaded by dl(), it will segfault on every request.

dl() is evil and should be deprecated. Actually that reminds me to add an E_STRICT about it. Shared libraries should only be loaded via php.ini.

ideal situation but I wouldn't want screw things in PHP just for these dumb shared libraries :)

Actually, I've already committed a patch which will omit the dlclose() call. This means the module will not be available if you do not dl() it on every request, but it won't be dlclose()'d after you've loaded it once. Note that this will only affect users who have the interbase.so and actually use it.