Changing the recommended setting of enable_dl is a first step.

I disagree. Set enable_dl Off in the recommanded php.ini will make it
disabled in many situations. This is not something good. But this
discussions sounds like 'Do we have to educate endusers?'. Wez sample
usage is the perfect example. And the one where I mostly use dl.

Why recommend anything at all if you don't want to 'educate end users' ?

The crash that started this thread had to do with modules being unloaded, both in debug and release builds. This has already been
fixed.

> btw still crash here, using fresh head (linux RH9 stock install).

The crash I am talking about (#26968) was indeed fixed by implementing one of the proposed changes. (I suspect you're talking about something else here)

--
Ard