I understand mostly everything you say except for why there's any motivation to introduce more headaches in the form of a new Throwable interface, forcing people to become acquainted with interfaces before they can throw an exception. Under the assumption that we want to

Not true, because the built-in Exception class would remain, and implement the required Interface(s). This would allow the designer to either use Exception as base of his hierarchy, of use his own Throwable-derived class instead.

--
Ard