2020.03.08 16:08 Dan Ackroyd rašė:
> On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 at 22:17, Christoph M. Becker <cmbecke...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> for more
>> general string functionality, it would be ext/mbstring.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Related to this discussion, please could someone remind me why the
> mbstring extension is an extension and not part of core PHP?
>
> I realise at the time it was introduced, UTF-8 was far less widely
> used: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8#/media/File:Utf8webgrowth.svg
>
> But now UTF-8 is pretty much the default for the vast majority of
> projects, so does that decision to keep it as an optional extension
> still hold up?

Majority is not 100%. Your German folders in webmails are not in UTF-8.
Even if application operates in utf-8, it still must be able to work not
with utf-8 and PHP functions that changed default from ascii/iso-8859-1 to
utf-8 were not designed to operate in real world.

Reason why mbstring are not base string functions is why PHP6 does not exist.

--
Tomas