https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/56567d31b331d3ab7814b36867579116eb14da86#diff-9879d6db96fd29134fc802214163b95a
> )
> and I couldn't find that commit on svn.php.net any more to have more
> information on it...
>
> Insight would be highly appreciated ;-)

My memory could fail me, but I believe there were debates coming from
Debian community around especially PECL extensions being Licensed under
PHP Licens 3.0 and the wording being sub-optimal. The new wording (and
website link) should make it clear that PECL (and PEAR) is "PHP
Software" while not being "PHP".

See this thread: https://news-web.php.net/php.pecl.dev/11927

johannes