On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 4:58 PM Craig Francis <cr...@craigfrancis.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm happy to use a different name; but I should add that is_numeric() isn't
> really a type, there are other functions such as is_writable(), and the taint
> extension uses is_tainted().

Right, good points. However, to my logic, whether or not the value was
created from a literal is not something you can infer from the value
itself, it needs an accompanying flag or something.

I'll suggest is_from_literal() as a more precise formulation.

> I've talked to Paul Dragoonis and Derick Rethans recently (they both kindly
> did talks at PHP-SW); when I mentioned it to Paul, I was told that's where I
> should start looking, and that was the correct terminology; and Derick helped
> confirm some of these ideas (but we were walking to the pub at the time).

Sounds like you were having fun though :-)

> And while I keep trying, I don't know enough about C, or the internals of PHP.

Appreciate the effort.