> On Mar 23, 2020, at 12:34, Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net> wrote:
>
> Rowan,
>
> Based on your responses now I am not at all sure what you were driving at.
>
> I think you are making detail points because of nuances of PECL and bundled
> vs. unbundled etc, while I was trying to make a higher level case.
>
> So let me restate the thesis:
>
> "When discussing a potential new feature suggesting that it be implemented in
> a way that it might not actually be available (via PECL, unbundled, disabled,
> whatever) is not a viable alternative for many PHP developers unless integral
> to the feature is a need to make it optional.”

I think Rowan is making the point that *most* of the features found in the core
PHP distribution are *optional*. Distributions and hosts are choosing to enable
them. There are very few things in the core distribution that cannot be
disabled at build time.

I’ve run into this numerous times in my userland OSS libraries. It came up
recently with the ctype functions. Someone’s host had these disabled, for
whatever reason, so I had to use a polyfill library to provide the
functionality, for those cases.

Cheers,
Ben