On Mon, Mar 23, 2020, at 3:08 PM, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Just as a follow up where I just asked Greg Anderson of Pantheon on
> their community Slack in the #community channel about supporting new
> versions of PHP and ability to install PECL extensions. It pretty much
> follows exactly what I have been saying:
>
> =====================
> Greg Anderson [Pantheon]:
> =====================
> In terms of upgrading PHP, it's a mixed bag. Some hosts are slow, some
> are fast. Pantheon is pretty quick about updating patch releases. Minor
> releases, though, are usually not prioritized right away because it is
> assumed that most customers won't want to upgrade to the latest patch
> release until Drupal / WordPress supports it.
>
> There's also the question of how much work it is to upgrade. 7.0, 7.2,
> and 7.4 required some fixing.  7.1 and 7.3 pretty much worked out of
> the box.
>
> In instanced where there's very little work to be done, we usually can
> slip it onto the platform right away. If it takes some time, then the
> card goes to product, and product prioritizes it against all of our
> other features.
>
> -------
> Regarding PECL, no, you cannot add any compiled extensions on Pantheon.
> You have to use what we package; you can see what's available from this
> php-info link: https://v74-php-info.pantheonsite.io/
>
> If a lot of customers request an extension, then Product might go ahead
> and give us a card to add it to the platform.
>
> It's not much work to add an extension, but there's a maintenance cost,
> so really not very many of these get added (beyond the base set already
> identified)
> -------
>
> Sure, you can buy a nice Digital Ocean container and put whatever you
> want on it. Our customers want something different, though, so there's
> a trade-off.
>
> Maybe if PHP came with a "bundled" distro with a base set of PECL
> extensions tested and added, managed hosts would decide to pick that up.
> =====================

Platform.sh, the managed host I work for, has offered every version of PHP
since 7.1 day-of-release, and we also have a long list of available PECL
extensions that can be enabled by adding a line to a YAML file.  We also have a
built-in build pipline where you can download and compile/install most other
extensions as desired.  We're also a Git-based host with every Git branch able
to be a running environment.

It's not that managed hosts can't make new-stuff easily available.  It's that
many don't.  But enough do that if you need the latest-and-greatest, you have
plenty of options.

--Larry Garfield