On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 at 17:11, Theodore Brown <theodor...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Consider this example using the shift left/right token syntax:
>
> ```php
> <<BitShiftExample(4 >> 1, 4 << 1)>><<OtherAttribute(4 >> 1, 4 << 1)>>
> function foo() {}
> ```
>
> To me the same thing using the T_ATTRIBUTE syntax is far more readable:
>
> ```php
> @:BitShiftExample(4 >> 1, 4 << 1)
> @:OtherAttribute(4 >> 1, 4 << 1)
> function foo() {}
> ```

This is an interesting point, but how often are users likely to write
anything like that?

Perhaps part of the reason I'm less bothered by the angle-bracket syntax
than others is that I can count the number of times I've used bit shifts on
the fingers of one hand, so I don't read it as "reusing the left/right
shift token", I read it as "enclosed in double angle brackets".

Regards,
--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]