I think changing reference is a bad idea, even if it's behind some
sort of declare or ini setting or what-have-you.

I do support `inout`, which has similar high-level outcomes: the
current value is fed in, and when the function returns it has a new
value. I think we should use `&` at the call site, and we should also
permit it optionally for by-ref parameters as it provides a migration
path: first add `&` to all the call sites, then switch it to `inout`.