<http://ocramius.github.com/>Hey Larry,

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 7:15 PM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Marco Pivetta wrote:
> > Hey Larry,
> > <http://ocramius.github.com/>
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 6:55 PM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I disagree entirely.  The value of a Maybe over just null is
> > >
> > > 1) You can bind to it even if the result is empty; the "if is null"
> check
> > > gets abstracted away from the main code.
> > >

> > That's correct: that's how the `Maybe` monad works too.
>
> That... is what I'm describing?  A Maybe Monad?

Sorry, my wording wasn't right.
`>>=` implemented for `?T` does the exact same thing as `>>=` implemented
via `Maybe T`: same abstraction, different implementation (`instance Monad
?T` vs `instance Monad Maybe`).

Therefore, if we had monadic syntax, you could write the following code:

```hs
do
    value <- someCall someInput
    someOperation <- someOtherCall value
    return value
```

The above would work with both `?T` and `Maybe T`, luckily.

> > > 2) You are forced to unwrap/extract the value if you're not just
> binding,
> > > which makes it less likely you'll forget to check if it's null
> >

> > No need to unwrap: that's what `>>=` does for you.
> >
> > Assuming you use psalm or phpstan, a program that doesn't use `>>=`, or
> > forgets to check for `null` on `?T` does not type-check anyway, and can
> be
> > rejected before even writing any runtime tests: that's sound.
>
> My Haskell experience is zilch, but since PHP lacks a dedicated bind
> operator that also magically unwraps, that doesn't seem relevant.  (Mind
> you, I'd be all for a dedicated bind operator that also auto-unwraps!  But
> that's not on the radar at the moment.)

 No need for magic operators: just because `>>=` is written with an infix
operator in Haskell doesn't make it magic.

In fact, Marco Perone released a nice PHP type-safe FP library around
functional PHP abstractions today, and `>>=` is implemented as `bind()`
there:

 *
https://github.com/marcosh/lamphpda/blob/ebde827e78f0d5889da041fecfea353817890e35/src/Maybe.php#L175
 *
https://github.com/marcosh/lamphpda/blob/ebde827e78f0d5889da041fecfea353817890e35/src/Typeclass/Monad.php#L22

You can use that today: it already brings some value to the table, without
any need for language-level additions (besides generics) :)

Greets,

Marco Pivetta

http://twitter.com/Ocramius

http://ocramius.github.com/