I completely agree with this statement.

Moreover, I had to write a full-fledged preprocessor in order to implement
library functionality, suitable for both attributes and doctrine annotations
(for version 7.4 and below).

Rust-like syntax (#[xxx]) is both visually pleasing and creates much less
problems when implementing such functionality.

Note how easy it will be to adapt the new attribute syntax to support them
using the doctrine annotation reader:
https://habrastorage.org/webt/w-/dv/vf/w-dvvfygpwdtsmjlcyrr9qxocd0.png

The currently accepted "atat" syntax requires the implementation of 4 classes
and a bootstrap file that forcibly loads the necessary ones and replaces the
files for a specific version of the language. This is exactly the reason why I
had to write a preprocessor...