On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 4:19 PM Volker Theile <
volker.the...@openmediavault.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i've opened the tracker issue https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=80004
> which requests Linux PAM (pluggable authentication modules) support in
> PHP8. IMO PAM is an essential feature that is required by professional
> applications. Sadly the PECL extension https://pecl.php.net/package/PAM
> is not maintained anymore and can't be used in PHP7 without patching it.
> I fear with PHP8 this will not be possible anymore.
>
> Because of that i want to bring up this topic and start a discussion if
> it is possible to integrate PAM support in the origin Git source tree,
> so package maintainer (e.g. Debian, Ubuntu, ...) can activate it simply
> via build flag and ship this extension through their packages. By
> integrating it into the origin source tree there is no need for a PECL
> extension anymore, the benefit of this will be that the code is always
> up-to-date and can be build out of the origin source.

The code needs to be maintained by someone to be up to date, putting it
into php-src will not magically solve that issue.

I don't think PAM has a chance of ever getting into php-src, even if the
PECL module is well maintained. It is just too specific, and the exact
reason that PECL exists. Do you see yourself taking over the maintainership
by any chance? apply the patches for PHP 7 compatibility and work on PHP 8?