> Am 20.01.2021 um 01:55 schrieb tyson andre <tysonandre...@hotmail.com>:
>
> Hi internals,
>
> Voting has started on
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/readline_interactive_shell_result_function
> on 2021-01-19, and ends on 2021-02-02.
>
> This RFC proposes to dump the results of non-null expressions using
> var_dump/var_export() by default in `php -a` (the interactive shell).
> Additionally, this adds a new function
> `readline_interactive_shell_result_function` to the readline PHP module.
> This function only affects interactive shells - it can optionally be used to
> set or clear a closure when `extension_loaded('readline') === true`,
> but that closure would only be called in interactive shells (i.e. php -a).
> (That closure would be called instead of the native implementation with the
> snippet of code that was evaluated and the expression's result,
> if a php statement contained a single expression such as `2+2;` or `$x =
> [1,2];` (that could be used as the expression of a return statement)
> - Dumping of expression results can be disabled using an ini setting or at
> runtime
>
> Thanks,
> - Tyson

Hey Tyson,

My main concern in this iteration of the RFC is: what happens with big/deeply
nested objects?
They tend to spew tons of lines if var_dump()'ed. Do we have reasonable
depth/output limitations in default dumping mode?

I'm often enough using php -a to do some quick ad-hoc processing (example, read
a big json file, and then access a value; instantiating a mediawiki bot
framework and calling replace on it; ...).

It's really cool to have any interactive feedback at all, but please, at least
by default, limit the output. (An example is the JS REPL in browser console -
it shows you a minimal preview of the object, and then you can expand with your
mouse. Obviously with a pure cli application, this needs different - intuitive
- navigation.)

As it currently stands, this makes php -a unusable in any but the simplest
cases, without just disabling the whole feature.

I like the whole feature, but the missing output limitation (I have yet enough
nightmares from var_dump()'ing the wrong object filling my shell with tons of
irrelevant information… I don't need that potentially happening on every single
evaluated expression)

Thus I'm voting no, for now.

Bob