Hey Tyson,

> [...]
>>>
>>> Voting has started on
>>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/readline_interactive_shell_result_function
>>> on 2021-01-19, and ends on 2021-02-02.
>>>
>>> This RFC proposes to dump the results of non-null expressions using
>>> var_dump/var_export() by default in `php -a` (the interactive shell).
>>> Additionally, this adds a new function
>>> `readline_interactive_shell_result_function` to the readline PHP module.
>>> This function only affects interactive shells - it can optionally be used
>>> to set or clear a closure when `extension_loaded('readline') === true`,
>>> but that closure would only be called in interactive shells (i.e. php -a).
>>> (That closure would be called instead of the native implementation with the
>>> snippet of code that was evaluated and the expression's result,
>>> if a php statement contained a single expression such as `2+2;` or `$x =
>>> [1,2];` (that could be used as the expression of a return statement)
>>> - Dumping of expression results can be disabled using an ini setting or at
>>> runtime
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> - Tyson
>>
>> Hey Tyson,
>>
>> My main concern in this iteration of the RFC is: what happens with
>> big/deeply nested objects?
>> They tend to spew tons of lines if var_dump()'ed. Do we have reasonable
>> depth/output limitations in default dumping mode?
>>
>> I'm often enough using php -a to do some quick ad-hoc processing (example,
>> read a big json file, and then access a value; instantiating a mediawiki bot
>> framework and calling replace on it; ...).
>>
>> It's really cool to have any interactive feedback at all, but please, at
>> least by default, limit the output. (An example is the JS REPL in browser
>> console - it shows you a minimal preview of the object, and then you can
>> expand with your mouse. Obviously with a pure cli application, this needs
>> different - intuitive - navigation.)
>>
>> As it currently stands, this makes php -a unusable in any but the simplest
>> cases, without just disabling the whole feature.
>>
>> I like the whole feature, but the missing output limitation (I have yet
>> enough nightmares from var_dump()'ing the wrong object filling my shell with
>> tons of irrelevant information… I don't need that potentially happening on
>> every single evaluated expression)
>>
>> Thus I'm voting no, for now.
>
> As-is, the entire object or string would be dumped with var_export/var_dump
> to stdout.
>
> Thoughts on the adding following output truncation mechanism
> (for the default C result dumper implementation)
> before printing the results of the returned expression
> (the user output continues to be untruncated, and the existence of cli.pager
> would not affect this mechanism in case the binary is not actually a pager)?
> For arrays/objects used with var_dump - the equivalent of
> `ob_start(); var_dump($result); $result = ob_get_clean();`
> would have to be used first from C since var_dump still writes to the output

var_dump() tends to be quite intensive in newline usage. I don't think
var_dump() (as is) is the best mechanism to print. At least I'd use one
property/one array argument = single line instead of two lines.
Additionally, when dumping a nested object, it's more valuable to see as much
as possible from the primary object rather than the deep nesting.

> I'd omitted output truncation from the RFC because I wasn't sure how many
> people
> would consider it excessive to include a limit on var_dump output, and there
> was little feedback before the RFC vote started.

Yeah, sorry for the late comment on that :-)

> The simplest implementation would be to truncate to a byte limit and append
> `...` if truncated,
> but the main concern that's been brought up is the approximate number of
> lines.
> Obviously, there'd be a value in truncating the output if there were to be
> megabytes of output,
> though exactly what settings make sense as a default would vary.

As mentioned a section earlier, there should be limits according to the
nesting-level … e.g. if it's the top-level value, a string may have 20 lines
printed and array and objects as well. And array entries/properties should then
be in a single line or take up to max ... 20 / count(properties or array
entries) lines (width before truncation can be determine from terminal width),
which then can be mostly in one line flattened output.
The general rule here should be, show me my object/array at hand and give me a
brief overview of what's nested within - and if I'm interested in detail, let
me (manually) output that object.
Also consider, when dumping strings within (nested) arrays/objects to replace
newlines with \n, for nicer display.

> C would not print anything (e.g. `=> `) or even call var_dump/var_export if
> the limits were set to 0.
>
> ```
> <?php
>
> const ASSUMED_BYTES_PER_LINE = 80;
> const ASSUMED_TAB_WIDTH = 4;

On that topic, may make sense to also fetch the actual terminal width and
heights respectively (ioctl TIOCGWINSZ).
I.e. if terminal is 20 lines high, printing 20 lines is a lot. if it's 80 lines
high, 20 lines is acceptable.

> // unmodified
> var_dump(truncate_string("test short string"));
> // 5000 'A's followed by "...\n"
> var_dump(truncate_string(str_repeat('A', 10000)));
> // 100 lines containing "A" followed by "...\n"
> var_dump(truncate_string(str_repeat("A\n", 10000)));
> ```

I'd wager nobody needs a hundred lines, I'd use inspiration from debuggers
which typically show 5-20 lines max.
IF you want to print it all, it's just as easy as `echo $var;` though.

So overall: try to make efficient usage of horizontal as well as vertical space
while still remaining usable and readable.

Bob