On Thu, Feb 25, 2021, at 2:55 AM, Rowan Tommins wrote:
> On 24/02/2021 04:26, Mike Schinkel wrote:
> > Repeating code similar to that from the message sent by David Rodrigues you
> > can see that eliminating the ": null" is less noisy:

> That's an interesting use case. Of course, the logical default there is
> actually '' (empty string) rather than null, since "echo null;" doesn't
> actually make much sense, but null works under current type juggling rules.
>
> Then again, perhaps this is a good example of why PHP *isn't* the best
> choice any more if you want a templating language. Twig, for instance,
> has exactly this facility
> [https://twig.symfony.com/doc/3.x/templates.html#other-operators]:

Given the security implications of plain PHP templating (you're on your own for
absolutely all filtering and escaping, good luck), I'd say this isn't even a
controversial statement.  PHP may have begun life as a templating language for
the 90s, but in the 2020s it's a fairly mediocre option at best compared to
what else is readily available.

--Larry Garfield