> On 22 Jun 2021, at 06:28, Craig Francis <cr...@craigfrancis.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 12:18 am, Benjamin Morel <benjamin.mo...@gmail.com
> <mailto:benjamin.mo...@gmail.com>>
> wrote:

>>> I agree with this. The name is_trusted is going to be the same naming
>>> mistake as "safe mode" was. Developers will put their trust in it that it
>>> is 100% guaranteed safe.
>>

>> FWIW, agreed, too. Trusted is vague and may imply some false sense of
>> security. Literal is literally what it says on the tin.
>>

> I can follow up properly tomorrow, but by popular request we do support
> integers as well (could be seen as stretching the definition of “literal” a
> bit).
>
> And we did ask for suggestions last week, which ended up with a vote (as I
> couldn’t decide).
>
> That said, I’m really glad that the only issue we seem to have is the name.
>
> Craig

So I just want to make sure I understand the progression on this so far.

It started out with people wanting a way to check that a string was a literal
string, in code somewhere, and does not come from user input. Ok makes sense.
The name makes sense too.

Then someone said they wanted to check if an integer was a literal too - but
because of technical limitations, it now allows any integer, regardless of
where it came from, to be treated as a literal.

Then because it’s not actually checking for literals, people thought the name
“trusted” made more sense?

That nobody thinks “any user supplied integer must be surely safe” is kind of
hilarious, and sad at the same time.

Knowing that a string is literal would be very helpful. Knowing that the string
potentially still contains user input, in spite of the one thing it claims to
do, is not just unhelpful, it makes the entire thing useless.

I can’t vote, but this whole thing would be a No from me unless it was the
original scope - a variable is a literal defined in code somewhere. If there
are technical limitations with some types, then leave them off the list of what
it will check.