> On Jun 22, 2021, at 5:28 AM, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 10:25, Mike Schinkel <m...@newclarity.net> wrote:
>>
>> Should(n't?) PHP add a basic SQL builder class that can be extended for
>> special cases, e.g. different flavors of SQL?
>>

> No. Or at least not yet.
>
> This type of thing is much better done in userland, where the api can
> evolve at a fast rate, rather than being limited by the fixed release
> schedule of PHP.
>
> If, after people had settled on a good api, someone could make a
> strong argument for adding it to core, it could be evaluated then.

Sure.  But that is not inconsistent with what I was asking/proposing.

There would be a benefit to collectively working towards to defect-standard
solution rather than leave it to the chaos of userland to come up many
different approache, even if initially in userland.

Even a PSR might be appropriate, but I tend to think the interface-centric
approach only works well things there the benefit it interoperability and not
when the benefit is implementation.

-Mike