On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 1:17 PM Kamil Tekiela <tekiela...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am against adding these functions, but for different reasons than Sara
> and George.
> If we add str_left and str_right then there should be a corresponding
> variant in mbstring. The byte-string functions are rarely useful. Adding
> these functions to mbstring unnecessarily complicates the extension for
> little to no gain.

So you seem to relate to Christoph's (and Rowan's) point.

> Another point is that if we decide to add them, then we will bikeshed
> forever in an unresolvable manner about the name. Should it be called
> str_left or strleft? Current functions don't have a naming convention, so
> using either variant will be wrong.

To be fair, most "strxxx" functions were historically more-or-less copied
from C; most recent additions have been "str_xxx".

> Personally, I find substr to be more clear about the intent. I know that I
> am asking for a part of the string. Whereas str_left doesn't convey an
> action immediately. Without knowing its purpose I wouldn't know if it will
> pad the string from the left, strip characters from left, or take the
> leftmost part of the string.

True, I can also imagine bikeshed like "str_leftmost", "str_start",
"str_first[_n]" (and same for rightmost/end/last)...

--
Guilliam Xavier