> I can also imagine bikeshed...

This is what can be discussed apart from whether these function come
to PHP. I am waiting for the other voices; there is surely someone
that can come up with a more creative name, a name that is short yet
descriptive.

> str_left_part/str_right_part is just what came to mind,

I thank you, Andreas, for suggesting new names. You are right that
substr can give surprising results. Str_starts_with and ends_with
return bool, not strings. So, we do have need of these functions.

Best