if hosting it ourself is a priority, i suggest looking into GitLab’s
Community Edition, which is entirely open source,
and the GNOME project moved from Bugzilla to GitLab CE in 2018,
here's how that worked out, 2 years later:
https://about.gitlab.com/blog/2020/09/08/gnome-follow-up/
(and the TL;DR is that it worked out great for the GNOME project)